21 Years of GILTEDGE: 21- day Southern Africa tour
In 2022, GILTEDGE reached its 21st birthday milestone, and for our guests to celebrate with us, we released a nature-, food-, wine-, and sunshine-filled 21-day southern Africa tour itinerary. We’re no longer 21, but for obvious reasons, this itinerary remains a firm favorite, covering four countries: South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Mozambique.
The adventure starts in Cape Town, South Africa’s Mother City, with four days of world-class wine, gourmet food, breathtaking scenery, and unforgettable hospitality at Ellerman House.
The next stop is a homely yet luxurious farm stay at Babylonstoren, one of the Cape Winelands’ oldest Cape Dutch farms.
Once you’ve fallen hopelessly in love with the Western Cape and its many treasures, it’s onwards to bucket list Botswana (Forbes’ official sustainable safari destination of 2023). Upon arrival, you’ll revel in the magic of the Moremi Game Reserve, a protected reserve in the Okavango Delta. From there, explore the reserve’s wildlife and waterways before replenishing your mind, body, and soul in the Xigera Safari Lodge wilderness spa.
You’ll spend the next three nights floating along the Chobe River on board the romantic houseboat, the Zambezi Queen, engaging in game viewing and bird watching from the river.
The next stop is Zimbabwe, with a stay at Matetsi Victoria Falls on a private stretch (approximately nine miles) of the mighty Zambezi River. Enjoy river cruises, tiger fishing, canoeing, and birding safaris, or spend hours admiring Victoria Falls, less than 25 miles from the lodge.
Finally, it’s back to South Africa for three nights at one of the country’s famous game parks, Cheetah Plains Private Game Reserve in the Sabi Sands Game Reserve, where Big Five sightings are practically guaranteed.
This unique, specially curated GILTEDGE Southern Africa tour concludes at the incomparable Kisawa Sanctuary on Benguerra Island in Mozambique’s Bazaruto Archipelago. Explore this protected marine park on a kayak, SUP board, or dhow and revel in yet another beautiful facet of Southern Africa.
From one of Africa’s most vibrant cities to bushveld breaks and the warm, aquamarine waters off Mozambique, this is truly a trip to remember.
- A sunset experience with cocktails and canapés (and a South African craft‑gin trolley) on Cape Town’s Atlantic Seaboard.
- Art tour plus complimentary entry to the staggering Zeitz Mocca, Africa’s Museum of Contemporary Art.
- A complimentary massage at the wilderness spa of Xigera Lodge, which was voted the ‘Best Safari Spa in Africa’ in 2022.
- Walking tour of Victoria Falls plus fishing, birding or canoeing on the Zambezi River.
- Sea kayaking, stand‑up paddle boarding and snorkelling from the pristine beaches of Benguerra Island followed by a sunset sail on a traditional Mozambican dhow.